St Andrew History Timeline

 

1906 Rev Philip Sredanovich sent by the Russian Mission to serve Russian, Serbian, Syrian, and Greek immigrants in the Butler area; services at a building near B&O RR Station in Butler but most Orthodox people lived in Lyndora; Fr Sredanovich relocated in Lyndora; services held on the 2nd floor of a private building/hall on corner of Chesapeake St and Bessemer Ave then on 1st floor of the same building

 

1908 one lot purchased on Main St, Lyndora from Kohler family for $700

 

1909 Fr Sredanovich himself started to build a wooden church 18’ X 36’

 

1909 June 17  New Castle Herald PA 17 June 1909 page 10 “Fr Sredanovich’s congregation worshiped in a hall in Lyndora until Easter Day on which day the first service was held in the new church on the corner of Francis (which became Main) and North Pacific avenues in the Kohler plan of lots. The church is not completed and is intended to be only a temporary place of worship. When the good times come again a new and larger edifice will be erected and the present building peace {sic}. The good pastor that the will be used for parochial school purposes.”


“This building is almost entirely the work of Fr Sredanovich. He designed it, and his hands with but little assistance, have constructed it thus far. Every day the pastor can be found plying the saw, the hatchet, or the paint brush with an earnestness and skill that command our admiration. He is certainly a great force for good n our foreign suburb, and may his work prosper.” For church location see 1911 sheet 38 and 1921 sheet 40 Sanborn Maps

1911 land purchased on Penn Ave and Lehigh St from Standard Steel Car Company; Keyko drafted the plans for the church, collected funds and directed construction

 

1911-1915 Parish President Thomas Merlak

 

1914 cornerstone laid for church on Penn Ave and Lehigh some of the first parishioners and founders:
Ignatius Budrevich
Michael Savochka
Michael Moroz
Ivan Hollak
Sam Musko
Thomas Meriak
Theodore Blisak
Andronik Shajnovich
Wasil Fecich
Zenovy Prichodko
Yevdokim Gulevich
Harry Sukovach
Stephen Berdey
John Blisak
Ivan Pavlukovich
Luka Homich
Paul Voytulevich
Theodore Feloniuk
Mark Dubic
Theodore Hollock
Harry Kraustock
Klem Lokovich
Ivan Sverdeskie
Sergius Sawchuk
Wasyl Turach

 

1915 blessing of the church on the Feast of Protection by Fr Limaroff

 

1916-1917 Parish President Andronik Shajnovich

 

1917 parish home and property adjoining acquired

 

1918  Parish President Ivan Galburda

 

1917-1919 flu epidemic took toll on parishioners and depression after WWI caused financial problems but mortgage payments met on time

 

1919-1920 Parish President Ivan Hollak

 

1921 Parish President Jacob Brich

 

1922 Parish President Andrew Brenko

 

1923 Parish President Ignatius Budrevich

 

1924 Parish President Andrew Brenko

 

1925 street and sidewalk paved; city assessment became an added burden

 

1925-1926 Parish President Nestor Shymelo

 

1927-1930  Parish President Anthony Buchta

 

1928  Parish incorporated

 

1931-1932  Parish President Nestor Shymelo

 

1933 Parish President Stephen Lenyk

 

1934 Jan 21  ROY Club founded and organized Fr Yakubovsky directed the organization of the club assisted the church, projects to remedy problems – church improvements, property cleaned and cared for, taxes paid, financial contributions; see detailed list in 65th Annniversary Book 1906-1971

 

1934-1935  Parish President Andrew Brenko

 

1936 Oct 14  Sisterhood of the Altar Original Church Charter Officers
President - Mary Fecich
Vice President - Agnes Salivonchik
Secretary - Stephania Pesocky
Treasurer - Eva Lenyk
Asst Treaurer - Mary Kuzelin

 

1936-1939  President of Sisterhood Mary Fecich

 

1936-1945  Parish President John Fecich

 

1939-1940  President of Sisterhood Stefania Pesocky

 

1940  Sisterhood purchased the gold-gilded Gospel Book

 

1940 March  Sunday School organized by Fr Stepahin See 65th Anniversary Book 1906-1971 for detailed description

 

1940-1941  President of Sisterhood Sophia Fecich

 

1941-1942  President of Sisterhood Helen Smith

 

1942 St Basil Brotherhood lent funds without interest for mortgage to be paid; WWII

 

1943-1952  President of Sisterhood

 

1939-1945  WWII unemployment decreased, church became solvent, church treasury increased and bought War Bonds

 

1946-1947  Parish President Anthony Grennek

 

1948-1949  Parish President John Botzchea

 

1950  Parish President Anthony Grennek

 

1950s English gradually introduced in liturgy to replace Church Slavonic

 

1949-1950 ROY Club purchased pews and new crystal chandelier

 

1951-1952  Parish President Daniel Smith

 

1952-1953  President of Sisterhood Marge Fecich

 

1953  ROY Club Don Cossack Concert

 

1953-1954  Parish President John Fecich

 

1953-1956  President of Sisterhood Helen Jankovich

 

1955 envelop system of collection

 

1955-1974 Parish President Peter Fecich

 

1956-1958 President of Sisterhood Alice Thomas

 

1957 October  ROY Club remodeled parish home, church interior and auditorium renovated including a modern kitchen

 

1958 Sept 1 acquisition and dedicatonof 3 bronze bells gifted by Mrs Keffalas and her children Dorothy, Alice, Elias, Evelyn, Pete, Spero, Alberta, and Petros

in memory of John L Keffalas, Petros L Keffalas, Alexander P Lemos

 

 

1958-1960  President of Sisterhood Ann Olenic

 

1960-1961  President of Sisterhood Marge Fecich

 

1961-1962  President of Sisterhood

 

1962-1963  President of Sisterhood Mary Loverick

 

1963-1964  President of Sisterhood Helen Buckowsky

 

!964-1965  President of Sisterhood Helen Jankovich

 

1965-1967  President of Sisterhood Ola Fedokovitz

 

1967-1969  President of Sisterhood Frances Fecich

 

1969-1970  President of Sisterhood Virginia Kork

 

1960s  Sisterhood new floor covering and new carpeting

 

1970 bought Solocha house used for storage and church school classes

 

1970-1971 Sisterhood of the Altar Officers
President – Joy Nanchuk
Vice President – Ann Fedosick
Secretary - Mary Prenovitz
Treasurer – Mary Stepahin

 

1971 ROY Club iconastas painted and gold-leafed and church interior and exterior painted; priest vestments, altar boys’ dalmatics and altar vestments replaced

 

1971-1973  President of Sisterhood Ann Fedosick

 

1973-1974  President of Sisterhood Margaret Glagola

 

1974  John Botzchea transferred his North Side Cemetery ‘Deed with Covenant for Perpetual Care’ lot 81 sec 37 rev. to St Andrew’s for purpose of altar
North Side Cemetery Assn with St Andrew’s Orthodox Church

 

1974-1976  President of Sisterhood Mary Tincha

 

1976  cupolas installed

 

1976 Aug 26  carillon chimes installed a gift of Mrs Pete J Keffalas and sons John Pete Keffalas, William Pete Keffalas and Alexander Pete Keffalas in memory of parents and grandparents: John L Keffalas and Katherine Lemos Keffalas President of Sisterhood Mary Tincha

 

1974-1981  Parish President Steve Sinkevich

 

1976-1978  President of Sisterhood Frances Fecich

 

1978-1979  President of Sisterhood Mary Tincha

 

1979-1980  President of Sisterhood Ann Fedosick

 

1980-1981  President of Sisterhood Mary Tincha

 

1981-1982  President of Sisterhood Ann Fedosick

 

1982-1985  President of Sisterhood Helen Jankovich

 

1985-1986  Presidenet of Sisterhood Stella DeLess

 

1995 Community Center sold to local Vietnam Veterans

by 1996 – no specific dates given Solocha house was demolished and leveled for parking lot and parking lot retaining wall completed Church and parish sandblasted and cleaned; new soffit and fascia coverings installed; crumbling retaining wall at lower walk rebuilt; new light on the side of the church and replacement lights in front of church installed; ramp to by-pass steps installed and carpeted; sign identifying church installed and landscaped

Inside church old electric wiring above choir loft replaced, track lights installed in choir loft; kitchen in church hall remodeled and refurnished

Copyright © 2018 St Andrew Lyndora. All Rights Reserved.